Crushed Minted Peas, Pea Tendril Salad, Pickled Baby Carrots, Carrot Cardamom Dressing, Cotija August 06 2014
While living in Barbados, I worked with a great English Chef by the name of Jonathan Wright. I learned quite a bit about refined English Food. One of the dishes that was a signature was Fish and Chips. The thing that I loved about the dish besides the obvious crispy Beer Batter with hints of Dill and yeasty Beer was the accompaniment on the plate of Crushed Minted Peas. I loved the freshness of the Peas and how it complimented the crispy fish. So I created by new signature dish of Peas and Carrots///Crushed Minted Peas with Pea Tendrils, Carrot Cardamom Dressing + Pickled Baby Round Carrots and Cotija Cheese. Its a very bright and flavorful dish that is a bit more then your typical peas and diced carrots.
Serves 4 ppl
Crushed Minted Peas
- 1 cup Blanched English Peas or Fresh Frozen Peas
- 3 T. Chiffonade Mint
- 1 T. Greek Yogurt
- ¼ of a Lemon…Zest from Microplane
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Place peas into a bowl.
- Mash with a fork
- Fold in rest of ingredients.
Pickled Baby Carrots
- 4 ea Baby Heirloom Carrots shaved thin
- 1 c. Rice Vinegar
- 1 T. Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ c. Sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh Dill
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Combine salt and shaved carrots and mix together in bowl.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water.
- Combine vinegar, mustard seeds, turmeric powder and sugar into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour on top of carrots.
- Add dill.
- Cover and allot to sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
Carrot Cardamom Dressing
- ¼ c. Brunoise Carrots
- ¼ c. Rice Vinegar
- ¼ c. Canola Oil
- ¼ c. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Combine oil and cardamom and toast in a small pot.
- Add rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add carrots and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove and cool.
- 1/4 c. Shelled Blanched English Peas or Frozen Sweet Peas
- 4 cups Baby Pea Tendrils
- 1 c. Hearts of Frisee
- 2 T. Cojita Cheese
- 4 ea Pansies
- 4 ea Violas
Plating procedure for 1 portion
- Place ¼ c. of Crushed Minted Sweet Peas in center of Plate.
- Combine 1 T. Blanched Peas, 1 c. Pea Tendrils and ¼ c. Heart of Frisee in bowl and gently toss together.
- Fold in 4-5 shaved pieces of Pickled Shaved Carrots.
- Add dressing and toss gently.
- Place on top of Crushed Minted Peas.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 tsp of Cotija Cheese over salad.
- Garnish with Pansy petals and 1 each Viola.